Are you a teacher interested in making an online income with teaching? In this VIPKid Review, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know before you join VIPKid.
Let’s get started!
What Exactly is VIPKid?
As the largest online English as a Second Language (ESL) program in the world, VIPKid has opened new doors of opportunity to native English speakers in Canada and the United States.
Through VIPKid, current teachers, stay-at-home mom/dad teachers and retired teachers are able to use their skills and experience without ever leaving their homes.
Their students are eager-to-learn children in China, Korea, and Japan.
The results are:
- A window into the Western world and expanded opportunities for the children
- Very appreciative parents
- Teachers able to blend work and family needs in a whole new way
Begun in 2013, the company benefits from the experience and vision of co-founder, Cindy Mi. As an educator, she recognized the very large demand by Chinese students to learn English. With respect for teachers and education as one of the core values in China, that attitude is evident in a number of ways throughout the VIPKid program.
This brief Interview with Cindy Mi will give you additional insight into the company along with some snippets of teachers conducting live classes and their students.
Who is VIPKid for?
On the Kid Side
The most obvious answer is that children who have a command of the English language will have more opportunities as they grow.
Miss Mi has questioned how you come to know about both sides of the Pacific Ocean. How children become good global citizens and understand their neighbors.
VIPKid gives students the opportunity to become friends with their North American teacher. Trust on both sides of the ocean is able to develop.
On the Parent Side
Parents pay for this program out of their own pockets. They know that English is the language of business, and the internet. They know the advantages they’re providing for their child’s future as China moves into the world market.
On the Teacher Side
You already know that no two teachers are alike. We are as varied as the students we teach. However, I expect that at least a few of the following benefits of teaching for VIPKid will be a match for you.
- Teach 4 – 12 year olds, usually in one-on-one classes
- Teach children eager to learn
- Teach in a culture that respects and reveres teachers
- Teach a subject you have a lifetime of experience with
- Create your own schedule
- Fit your schedule into a full-time job
- Fit your schedule into your stay-at-home mom/dad needs
- Create your own part-time gig
A Few Don’ts:
- You don’t need to speak Chinese
- You don’t need to create lesson plans
- You don’t need to develop curriculum
- You don’t need to grade anything
And, No times 3:
- No commute
- No bells
- No incessant loud speaker interruptions from the office
Why join VIPKid
The opportunity to earn additional money in a fun environment is huge. Doing it on your own schedule it even more inviting. However, there’s more to know about this company.
These People Want You to Succeed
They have a variety of resources in place to make you great at this job. Applicants receive lots of online and in-person coaching. You’ll receive lots of assistance in preparing for your interview and securing your first contract.
Once you are part of the family, you’ll be able to take part in:
- Welcome events
- Official conferences
- VIPKid blog that has a number of articles related to skill-building and business-building information.
The teachers at VIPKid have great things to say bout the company, too. So much so that the founder, Cindy Mi, is one of Glassdoor’s Top CEOs for 2019.
Take a look at the announcement that is posted on Glassdoor!
Icing on the Cake
In addition to these great features, there are two more reasons to be a part of this company.
First, in July of this year, the Chinese Ministry of Education instituted a new requirement. If you’re a non-Chinese citizen teaching English to Chinese citizens, you must hold TESL certification showing 120 hours of training and teaching.
The cost of this certification can range from a few hundred dollars to over $1,000. A good TEFL course is worth every penny, too. However, at the time of this writing, VIPKid is providing this training free of charge for their teachers.
Second, the company currently supports 300 low-income rural schools. They provide English classes for the children attending these schools free of charge. You have to love a business that gives back to the community.
If you’re a current or retired classroom teacher, you already know the problems we face on a daily basis. I’ve written about several of them. Teaching is a struggle and it shows no sign of improving.
Do Any of the Following Resonate with You?
- The need to work a second job just to make ends meet
- Inadequate benefits
- Lack of respect from students and parents
- Too lenient to non-existent school discipline
If you’re a retired teacher, concerns about inadequate benefits may be a constant companion. Supplementing your income may be high on your list.
Thousands of teachers in the United States and Canada have done that and more. With VIPKid, these teachers are experiencing a life that wouldn’t have been possible before.
Ready to Escape Your Classroom?
My Review of VIPKid
If the option of teaching on your couch in your jammies appeals to you, you can do that!
If the option of teaching from a different location every day while you travel the world, appeals to you, you can do that too! As long as you have your laptop, good internet, and a quiet space, you can do that!
This is a 1099 job, so as an independent contractor, you decide where and when you want to teach.
What You Need
- A college degree in any subject
- One year of classroom experience. They’re very flexible on this.
- The legal right to teach in Canada or the United States
Equipment You’ll Need
- A computer with 4Gb RAM
- Windows 7/MacOS 10 (minimum)
- Internet of 20Mbps
- HD Camera/Webcam
- Chrome or Firefox browser
- Good lighting
- Props for teaching
- Decorated space-this is your classroom
If you’re a classroom teacher and teaching like this is a new experience for you, there will be some will differences. The curriculum is very structured, and you must use their teaching style since they provide you with the lessons for each child.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You will be an independent contractor.
- It can take several weeks to go from applying, to interview, to signed contract.
- You may do several demo and mock classes.
- You will be given plenty of materials to study prior to your demo classes. (If you’re serious about this opportunity, study and plan. Visit the company site and take advantage of the resources there, too.)
- Once you’re hired, create a great video greeting and written biography. (Parents will initially pick you from these. They can also view other parent’s reviews of you.)
- Getting your first bookings can take a little time, so be sure to open your booking schedule as far into the future as possible.
If you have any questions or issues, contact them and let them know. They get excellent marks for being attentive to their teachers.
That’s one reason lots of teachers have great things to say about VIPKid at Indeed
The hours are one of the perks for many people. Since you’ll be teaching children on the other side of the globe, you can fit your VIPKid classes before or after a normal school day if you’re working full-time. If you’re working part-time, you have even more flexibility!
Friday and Saturday from 9PM – 12AM can also be hot!
How you earn money from VIPKid
Classes are 25 minutes in length with 5 minutes for review and prep, making it very easy to do back-to-back classes for a full hour. Salary is computed per class.
- Starting pay is $7 to $9 per 25 minute session.
- Bonuses are also possible pushing the hourly to $22
- One time referral bonuses are also available
Pros of VIPKid
- Pro 1 – The TESL Certification required by The Chinese Ministry of Education is free for VIPKid teachers
- Pro 2 – You set your own schedule
- Pro 3 – You definitely get out of this job what you put into it
Cons of VIPKid
- Con 1 – Some have a hard time making the switch from a standard teaching job to a gig economy. You must be a self-starter and promote yourself
- Con 2 – Following #1 above, there are no traditional benefits
- Con 3 – It can take time to develop your own group of regular students
Depending on your situation, VIPKid can be an awesome opportunity.
It’s ideal for:
- Current teachers wanting to supplement their incomes
- Teachers wanting to leave their standard teaching job and launch out on their own
- Stay-at-home moms and dads who want plenty of hours available for family time
- Retired teachers wanting to supplement their retirement with the flexibility to travel
If you’ve been nodding your head in agreement to the things I’ve been highlighting for you, why not join now and get your interview process started? There will never be a better time to experience teaching as it should be.
None of the North American negatives
How to Join VIPKid
It’s easy. Just click the link below. It will take you to the VIPKid site, and you can get started on your path to a whole new teaching experience!
Ready For Your Own Online Business?
If VIPKid sounds wonderful, but it’s just not quite right, take a look at my #1 recommendation for escaping the classroom. It’s a great resource for learning how to promote yourself, your aspirations, and your special concerns.
Ready to Escape Your Classroom?
I may benefit from a qualified purchase
If you enjoyed reading this article, please share it with friends and colleagues.
- TESL Certification required by The Chinese Ministry of Education is free for VIPKid teachers
- You set your own schedule
- Definitely get out of this job what you put into it
- Some have a hard time making the switch from a standard teaching job to a gig economy
- There are no traditional benefits
- It can take time to develop your own group of regular students